Monday, December 5, 2011

Beliefs.

My sunday school is important. I know that. But does a teacher have to start acting like they're his children and say Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and The Tooth Fairy is not real? That they're just your parents faking them? When he said that yesterday I connected it to saints and thought, "Well, with Santa, then you're basically saying that St. Nickolas is not real, which makes it sound like you shouldn't believe in even the Lord!" It's putting to muerte a child's dreams, beliefs, and faith.. Making them feel like "Well, then why believe in anything!" And that's just sad.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sierra! How dare your Sunday School teacher be SO MEAN!! I wonder how he would have responded should you have posed the above to him. Sounds to me that he is harboring some hurt feelings from his youth. Remember to share your faith and pray for him. It sounds like he could use some Christmas faith. (Or at least a Christmas cookie served with a smile and forgiveness?)

    For the record, I still believe in Santa Claus. Truly, I do!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sierra! I think you have made a very grown up connection about belief. Beliefs change as you grow and have new experiences. I value my faith in God above all but it's not the same as it was when I was 9. People have trouble believing in what they cannot see - but those things are the most real of all. Santa is very real - look around you and see. Believe. Love, Grandma

    PS Your poem "I Am" is very deep. Why don't you submit it in the Greenburgh contest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Nicholas was a real, historical figure. His generous spirit lives on in the giving people do during this season. And therefore, I - a 32-year-old woman - happily declare my belief in Santa. Always.

    I applaud the rest of your post. You are wise and wonderfully analytical beyond your years. Happy Christmas, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet there were quite a few angry parents. My 9 year old believes 100% and has never questioned. I would be beyond upset if this was ruined for him. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...